Thursday, September 9, 2010

1st step into the working world

Looking back at my 1st presence at the company, 1st day or 1st week doesn’t matter simply because I am a total fresh that just completed my tertiary education. Here is the equation or perception of what a fresh grad is like; fresh = no/ few past working experience, new to the working world, high self expectations on own value & capability which at most of the time do not meet with reality. 

We need time to re-adjust and get adapted to the world we thought we already known, this is what I think and I believe also representing voices of what majority fresh grad. However, we do realized when we moved forward into a new chapter of life heading towards different direction (leaving what we called the comfort zone; college/ university life), things changed. There is too much for learning and yet the education does not really prepare most of us for what is coming (except some faculties I would say).

Learning from scratch is not easy but praise god it had always been exciting and thrilling. Speaking of my job, I was in the marketing position in the event & exhibition line. My job description? Making sales calls (both cold & warm calling), doing presentation, liaise with clients, acquiring new client accounts and so on. I spent my 1st 3 days doing study on my job, to understand my job better, to know what exhibition is and how is it differ than event. I used to think there is an equation between an event and exhibition but if fact there is nothing in common between the two. If I am about to say there is, there might just be the initial E. *chuckles* When it comes to nature of both, it is a total different scenario. In order for your eyes to feel less tiring and  more comfortable when reading this, I will share it in my next post.

No comments: